" . . . For all things I have the strength by virtue of him who imparts power to me." Philippians 4:13

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Another Day One

I don't mind starting over. I see it as a sign that one hasn't given up, but has chosen to keep moving forward -- "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.". So, I'll keep posting at my on own speed, as my schedule allows.  My intent in publishing my recipes was only to create my own virtual cookbook that could easily be accessed at work when someone asked for a certain recipe or eventually, when Jack needed to know how to cook his favorite dish. As it is Fall, I am making soup right now. This was dinner last night . . .

Broccoli Cheese Soup

1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Dash pepper
1 1/2 cups 2% milk
1 1/3 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese

In a large non stick saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add the broccoli, tarragon, thyme, and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Add milk; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. In a blender, process soup until smooth. Return to pan and heat through (do not boil). Stir in 1 cup of cheese until melted. Sprinkle servings with remaining cheese. Yield: 4 servings. *Shortcut: In lieu of blender step, use Immersion blender right in the pot as soup is cooking. End product will be a little more rustic, not as smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment